Gu Gu's Daily BS

reorganizing my iPod. reorganizing my photos. reorganizing my life!

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Create a hot key or shortcut for system standby mode

I can no longer press Sleep button on my keyboard to put my system in standby mode because my new keyboard doesn't have that key. I am stuck. So, I start looking for a hot key to do this without Sleep button. I found a forum thread to do this trick.

Here is how to create a batch file, a shortcut, and a hot key to launch standby mode.

1. Open notepad. Copy and paste the following command line.
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
2. Save the text file as *.bat. (e.g. standby.bat)
3. Cut and paste the batch file into C drive.
4. Create a shortcut to the batch file. Make sure to save the shortcut on Desktop or one of the folders in Start menu. Saving the shortcut in any other folders will not work for the hot key. (e.g. Save in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories folder.)
5. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties.
6. In the shortcut key box, press Ctrl + Alt + "your choice of key" as shown in the figure.

That's all. Now, all I have to do is press Ctrl + Alt + F12 to get my system into standby mode.

Other sources:
1. Windows Tips: Top Techniques for Putting Windows on Hold
2. Hibernating / Suspending the machine from the command line

No comments: