Gu Gu's Daily BS

reorganizing my iPod. reorganizing my photos. reorganizing my life!

Friday, March 09, 2007

Four nights with Fedora Core 6

All I want to do is to create a disk image of my new fresh installation of Fedora. Since Ghost 8 wouldn't boot and Acronis True Image seemed to take forever to acquire the disk image, I turned to other imaging software System Rescue CD (V 0.3.3) and g4l (Ghost for Linux). By the way, System Rescue CD is a pretty good boot CD loaded with disk and file system tools. Some of the tools in this CD can also be used for FAT and NTFS partitions.

System Rescue CD runs fine but Partimage, the disk image creation program, also takes a long time to create image of my drive. I tried g4l with no success at all. The main problem here is that I accepted the default partition configuration of Fedora which uses LVM for my entire / (root) and swap partitions, and most of these programs have trouble understanding my LVM volume group.

I found dd command or Mondo Rescue might work with my LVM configuration but I haven't tested any of them yet.

No comments: