Gu Gu's Daily BS

reorganizing my iPod. reorganizing my photos. reorganizing my life!

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Ubuntu server version and root password

First time user of Ubuntu. I heard about this distro from my friends, so I said to myself why not give it a shot. So I downloaded the server version 6.06 LTS from Ubuntu. It's time for me to upgrade the hardware on my little linux server anyways. Only one CD for server version and the installation was not that hard.

Rebooted after the installation and I was in the linux console. Yep, that's all it is in the server version without Gnome or KDE. It's kind of nice to have a LAMP server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) up and running with one CD though. Now here is the problem. I tried to log in as root but it did not ask me for root password during installation so there's no way of me knowing the password. ??? Confused ??? (My first time using Debian based linux.)

After a few web searches, I found this wiki. What I had to do is log in using the regular user account created during installation. Then use the follwing command to set root's password.

[user@host~]#sudo passwd root

Now I can log in as root and I can use any passwords I want for root.

Important: This is not recommended by Ubuntu for security reasons. The recommended way to do administrative tasks is to use sudo command as non-root user account.

Reference: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper

No comments: