Gu Gu's Daily BS

reorganizing my iPod. reorganizing my photos. reorganizing my life!

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Vista: Day 5

Day 5: Vista's interface (all the bells and whistles) looks real nice but it gives me the feeling of slowness. Sometimes when I open a program such as Adobe Photoshop CS3, Symantec Backup Exec, or RealVNC, it will take forever to load that program. In some cases, it would take more than 30 secs to load VNC which is a small program.

Yesterday, I installed Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (Design Premium), Adobe Acrobat Reader 8, and Nero 7 Ultra on Vista. It's very slow to open Adobe Photoshop as mentioned above, and in addition, it takes a few seconds to see the selection box if I try to use select tool in Photoshop. It's a very slow response if one is doing photo editing. I haven't tried other tools in Photoshop. (Update: For some reasons, when I use Adobe Photoshop today (05/25/2007), it works fine and not slow at all except opening large image files. ???)

When I tried to install Adobe Acrobat Reader version 8, I got an error "The Temp folder is on a drive that is full...". Even after cleaning up and checking file permissions for that Temp folder, it still won't work. Finally, I found a resolution from Adobe that says my UAC (User Account Control) is turned off, and thus Adobe Reader can't be installed. Great! It's so annoying that I had to turn that UAC off. I chose to run in Windows XP (SP2) compatibility mode for setup and then I was able to install it eventually.

Nero installation also gave me some troubles. I ended up going with the new version of Nero. Actually, I can force Vista to run older version of Nero in Windows XP (SP2) compatibility mode but I rather go with a newer version that is Vista compatible.

FYI: My system is AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800+ (939) with Asus A8N-E motherboard. The graphics card is nVidia's 6600GT (128MB). The RAM is 2GB DDR PC3200 in dual channel mode.

No comments: